The cost of fertility services are worth it for many families when they welcome their baby into the world. However, when a fertility center does not uphold its duty to its clients, that negligence or breach of promise often adds to the financial and emotional strain that families experience.
Thankfully, it is possible to take legal action against a negligent fertility center. A legal claim could result in a financial recovery for the family. What compensation might the court award in a fertility lawsuit?
Potential damages in fertility cases
Negligence in a fertility clinic can result in physical, financial and emotional harm. In addition to providing the opportunity to hold a center responsible for negligence, a fertility claim may involve damages for:
- Costs related to fertility-related services, including additional fertility services
- Expenses related to hospitalization, as in one case where the implantation of too many embryos resulted in a quadruplet pregnancy and premature birth
- Future expenses related to raising a child with a medical condition for which the center failed to screen
- Lost wages
- Compensation for future infertility caused by the center’s actions
- Pain and suffering experienced by the family, including their emotional distress
No amount of money can truly undo the physical, financial and emotional toll of a fertility center’s mistakes. However, these damages can lift some of the burden that families experience and provide the resources to help them move forward.